Standing out in the urban jungle of Zurich is the brand-new 25hours Hotel at Zürich Langstrasse. Living like an urban nomad in between of the redlight district of Langstrasse and the established Europaallee in Zurich by getting involved in the hotel’s art & design philosophy described as POCKET UNIVERSE.
As someone who loves art, innovation and with a passion for exploration, the new hotel of the 25hours Hotel group took my breath away from the very first moment I entered the door. The way the venue blends cultures, the urban, cosmopolitan and ran down atmosphere of the Langstrasse, with the upscale, renowned financial district of Zurich is astonishing. The hotel group itself is no stranger to me since I have worked with the team on mobility and innovation projects before.
I would certainly describe the 25hours Hotel Zürich Langstrasse as a tiny cosmos within Zurich, something unique and ever evolving which has never been before, perfectly fitting into this location.
The 25 Hours Hotel Langstrasse
- 170 guest rooms in sizes M, L and XL as well as two suites
- Located on Europaalle, at one of the nodal points in the current urban development project, next to the Central Station of Zurich
- Artist in residence project: studio “Message Salon Embassy” curated & lead by Esther Eppstein
- NENI restaurant with an with East Mediterranean-Israeli menu inspired by Haya Molcho
- Cinchona Bar with drinks by Jörg Meyer
- Event area for up to 50 people; an incredible trainspotting lounge & sauna
- iMac work stations
- Free MINI– and Schindelhauer bicycle hire
- Jogging corner, parking spaces
- A kiosk on the ground floor, set up in cooperation with KEIN & ABER VERLAG
- Free high-speed Wi-Fi in the entire hotel
While entering the hotel, several architecturally well implemented open spaces support an atmosphere of exchange, friendliness, humor and freedom of (artistic) expression. A “tree of bags” certainly captures someones attention. 170 rooms in five categories welcome guests on the 1st to the 7th floors and feature design elements inspired by different themes from the red light district, the Belle Époque or big city life. I particularly like the wood as a dominant feature in the rooms as well as the photo wallpapers which adhere to the three themes of inspiration: they were designed using motifs by the Zurich photographer Nadja Stäubli. A highlight definitely is also the shower which is made of glass and is located in the middle of the room.
Werner Aisslinger showing me the “tree of bags”
Art in a pocket
Zurich is certainly a hotspot for art: especially the vibrant art scene in the immediate neighborhood inspires the unique Artist in Residence feature “Message Salon Embassy” by Esther Eppstein. I firstly had come across Esther Eppstein through my visit at the Dienstgebäude Art Space in Zurich, and it was definitely a great sign to find out that this inspiring person will head this incredible new project and develop the cultural programme for hotel.
Esther curates the project to provide artists from a broad variety of stylistic schools with space to work in a specially created atelier on the groundfloor of the hotel. They will be given free room and board in return for letting guests look over their shoulders as they work. According to 25hours CEO Christoph Hoffmann ‘The idea is taken from places like the Chelsea Hotel in New York or the Colombe D’Or in St Paul de Vence’. From my chat with the hotel’s designer, Werner Aisslinger, the unique furniture “Leihhaus”-element further contributes to the idea that the universe is shaped by the artists and the community, as if it is a “living organism.”
Entering the “Message Salon Embassy”
ANDY MEETS WARHOL loves
- The Art which is EVERYWHERE you look, including Tobias Rehberger, Veli & Amos
- The Artist-in-residence programme (stay tuned while I report more soon)
- The custom FREITAG “tree of bags” where according to my chat with Werner Aisslinger guests can hang their luggage
- The trainspotting lounge
- The humorous and open atmospheare which still Zurich has still potential for more such places
- The spirit, vision, attitude from the CEO to the simplest person involved
- An “art” jungle full of friends, creativity, innovation and individuality
- The outstanding blend of talents and brands, each perfectly complementing each other
- Official launch 11.05
- Rooms start at 270 CHF per night (special opening rates start at 220 CHF)
- 25hours Hotel Zürich Langstrasse & 25hours Hotels
- Address: Langstrasse 150, 8004 Zürich
Phone: 044 576 50 00
More on my:
Take care & write to you soon.